Wednesday, March 5, 2008

05/31/2007

No surgery today for Emery. It is scheduled indefinitely for next Thursday. Apparently the surgeon had a window of opportunity today, but the OR did not so he felt it would be best to give Emery his full attention rather than squeeze him in. Emery is acting a little more uncomfortable, though, and the surgeon did say if it became an emergency he wouldn't hesitate to take him in the middle of the night to remove the stone. Yesterday, they went down on Emery's CPAP to a pressure of 8. I actually got mad. Apparently, the only thing more confusing than my son is his mother. It was reminiscent of the time when I told the heart surgeon's nurse practitioner how upset I was going to be if Emery didn't have the PDA ligation, and she said she'd never experienced anyone being upset that their child wouldn't have surgery. Well, I got mad about them actually going DOWN on Emery's CPAP yesterday because he's making all of these strides before he goes back on the vent. I know, I know. It doesn't make much sense. I had just gotten to the point that I had accepted he wasn't going to be making any progress because of the surgery and he's now down to the point of them trying him high-flow nasal cannula, although they did say that they probably wouldn't do that before surgery. With the way things are going though they might try it anyway. Who knows? Our favorite Grateful dead fan of a doctor said there was a definite difference in pressure support from CPAP between 8 and 10, and Emery was tolerating going down pretty well. His oxygen requirements went up a tad bit, but his respirations stayed in the 40s to 60s. (I believe those are things I forgot to put on the informative post of medical jargon so I'll have to do another one of those some day.) Anyway, I forgot to ask what he weighed. I'll do that later. Today is blood gas day, too, so we'll see how he handled going down on his pressures. I keep forgetting to ask things about him, because I figure, 'what's the point?' They'll let me know if something is amiss. It's not very proactive parenting, I know, but I'm really only a part-time mom. I do know that he weighed 10 pounds 4 ounces at his last weight and he generally gains about an ounce a day. Last night while holding him he was so heavy he put my arm to sleep so I know he's gaining well. We're also supposed to be buying him new toys, like rattles and such, to use with him for his development. That's all for now!

No comments: