Wednesday, March 12, 2008

02/22/2007

HAVE BREAST PUMP: Will travel.

So, I have driven 13 hours in 24 hours and have found that I can pump and drive. It has a car charger and I pulled over, hooked up in my hands-free pumping bra and went on my way. Just thought you would like to know that. Well, check this out. As Erik and I were out of town I had some family go up and visit Emery while we were gone. My sister was there yesterday and said that nothing had changed from what I had posted, and then the nurse today told me he was at 35% to 40% oxygen. I got a little depressed thinking that he was rebounding already while being on the steroids, so you can imagine my surprise when I called back after rounds and asked what changes had been made and the nurse said, "nothing other than going down to 10 breaths a minute." Okay, get this, my baby, YES MY BABY is at 30% to 35% oxygen requirement with 10 breaths per minute and a pressure support of 6 with good blood gases. The next step from here would be, well, extubation and CPAP. It won't happen yet, though, as his round of steroids is done and he will need to rebound and go the 10 days without a steroid burst, but this is so wonderful. When he started on this vent he wasn't anywhere near what he's at now so he's making improvement! He still weighs just over 4 lbs (no surprise, the roids inhibit growth a little), and he's pooping and peeing like a champ, taking 30 mL (1 full ounce) every 3 hours with no residuals and he has 30 k/cal human milk fortifier added to it. (It's just some protein and vitamins to help preemies grow.) I know there will be some bad days to come, but for now Emery is rockin'! Thanks Scooter and Kim. You guys rock! Love you all! Sarah, Erik and Emery

No comments: