Friday, March 7, 2008

05/19/2007

You know, Emery's feet smell like feet, and yet they have never been in shoes. Isn't that funny? Emery's kidney sone was evalutaed and it is now partially obstructing. It has moved slightly down, but he has renal colic now. I haven't looked that up. Everyone just tells me that it's very painful. The doctor opened up Emery's file while I was talking to him and I somehow managed to read the one line in the medical record that said "the patient is very ill." I guess I forgot just how sick he is (remember, sick in medical terms is the equivalent to how much life support is required.) Em's still got a lot of life support on board. Anyway, I guess the problem with the kidney stone is no one really knows what to do for a kidney stone in a baby. Because he is a baby it makes surgery very hard, and the doctor said that with the degree of respiratory illness that Emery has no one is in a real hurry to operate. A lithotripsy is out of the question. The doctor said Emery's 'equipment' is just too small. He emailed the urology service (he said he didn't want to go through the chain of residents) and we'll likely know what they will do on Monday, but I think they just have to let pass. He's pretty uncomfortable. I know we've all been praying for his lungs, but please pray for the kidney stone that it will miraculously disappear. Oh, and I came in today and Emery's oxygen requirements were down. The nurse changed his pulse ox probe to the other foot and his saturations came up. I held him but he pulled his tube out so we put him back. He's being kept sedated so he sleeps most of the time.

No comments: