Monday, March 17, 2008

01/23/2007

So there really isn't anything new to report, other than Emery had a good night and a good day. The nurse says he's pink and healthy looking and running around 35% to 40% oxygen. His chest x-ray looked better today than yesterday. His blood gases have really always been pretty good with the exception of his CO2 gas exchange because his lungs are so stiff. He's off the antibiotics now, and that worries me a little. They are so prone to infection. I'm still bummed about the PDA not getting surgically closed. It's just hard on him to have it open, and I hate the idea of him having another infection. So many of you ask when is he coming home, and though so many of you keep telling me that you have a 'good feeling' about all of this, I think the real answer to that is simply not when but if. Some babies are miracles. Let's pray that Emery is one of those. The doctors had talked about starting Emery on steroids for lung development, but that went by the wayside when his PDA opened up again. Let's all pray that Emery's lungs get better without steroids and that his PDA stays closed. Steroids tend to weaken a preemie's immune system, and they have such a hard time fighting off infection. I was going to go see him tonight and I had a sore throat again so I decided not to. I hate having to stay away from him, even for just a minute. There have been a lot of you that have asked what you can do for Erik and I, many people saying 'if you need anything at all don't hesitate to ask.' There's a problem with that. We won't ask. It's not a matter of pride, either. We simply don't know what we need. I guess if God puts it on your heart to do something, just do it. Also, if you're going to come over, call first. It's not that we don't like visitors, it's that I spend 3 to 4 hours a day pumping in the middle of my living room. If people are coming over I just want to be able to schedule pumps. The doctor said that every good day Emery has is a day that makes him stronger, and he really did have an uneventful weekend and is looking pretty good. The docs have upped his feeds to 4 mL every 6 hours, and he's tolerating them well. I'll get some new pics up soon because he really is beautiful and starting to look like a real baby. Thank you for all of your prayers and support. This has been a very hard road and we couldn't do any of it without you! Love, Sarah, Erik and Emery

No comments: