Friday, March 7, 2008

05/12/2007

I'm starting to be genuinely concerned for the doctor. I went to see Emery yesterday just in time for rounds. Everyone was standing around his room and he said "hey, you're just in time." He actually invited me to be a part of rounds. He's a wiley one. Whenever I get there for rounds, he mysteroisly has completed them before I get there (yes, I'm being pleasantly sarcastic). It just never works that I have sat in on rounds with this doctor. Anyway, they went through rounds and the only thing done to go down 1 ppm of nitric, so Emery is down to 2 ppm of nitric from 5. He did say that the decrease from 5 ppm to 2 ppm is insignificant, but 1 ppm to 0 is monumental so we will see how Emery does with it when the time comes. Anway, the other night the RT came in and was checking Emery over while he was crying and she said "wow, he's got nice strong lungs." All of us stopped what we were doing to stare a her. She said "what, I can see he's on the nitric so he must have pulmonary hypertension?" We all laughed. No one has EVER said Emery had nice strong lungs, but apparently they are starting to sound clear and he is moving air well. So, the doctor came in to the room after rounds yesterday and said "I should apologize to you.. nah, I don't have anything to apologize for.. hey, can you see my breath in here?" Then, he started exhaling and trying to see his breath. We keep Emery's room pretty chilly because he gets hot so easy. This is why I'm getting concerned. Please say a prayer for him. I think he's been on service for too long. He had Emery for 2 weeks in bay 1 back in February, he was off for a month, came back for 2 weeks, off for 2 weeks, and then came over to bay 2 for 2 weeks. He needs a rest.. (again, pleasant sarcarsm). He said, and I quote "I'm very happy with how things are going with Emery." Now, you have to understand. I'm not sure this doctor has ever been happy with anything as far as Emery is concerned. He said he's at a point now with weaning Emery to where he can correct anything he does if he moves too fast. He's happy with Emery's progress. I never thought I'd say this, but I'll be truly said to see him go on Tuesday. He may be intense, but he does genuinely care about my boy. He'd like to see Emery weaned again at least once this week.

No comments: