Wednesday, March 12, 2008

04/02/2007

Well, I'm at lunch so I thought I'd update quickly. We are going on 6 days off the vent. The Doctor decided not to stop steroids but taper them down for a few more days. We had a little scare this morning. His CO2 was high for him (in the 80s) but this time he wasn't compensated as well as he usually is. I guess he was pretty angry when they did the blood gas. Anyway, they did a Combivent and Flovent treatment, gave him some morphine and Ativan and let him calm down. I prayed so hard that I could just accept whatever was going to happen, and amazingly his CO2 came down to 65! He's rarely seen those numbers. Anyway, the nurse thought that it might be a good idea to give him his breathing treatments and sedate him in the morning so he's resting when he gets his blood gases and that way they only have to stick him once. Let's hope that works. I think they upped his feeds a little, but not much. They are still trying to fluid restrict him. He's still in a fragile state. Please keep him in your prayers. The way the doctor was talking yesterday I felt that Emery hadn't made any progress, and yet he's 6 days off the vent. That has to be progress. Erik made me promise not to call Dr. Accaregui (pronounced a CARE a GE .... as in geese, hard G long E)today, so I'm not calling him. I don't know why I assume I can facilitate Emery's care. It must be a mother thing. The nurse last night said he's acting like a regular newborn, taking his binky and comforting himself and sleeping a lot and well. He's been having some pretty loose stools, which is slightly concerning, but they aren't overly freaked out by it yet. Keep it up my praying friends. It's amazing he's been off this long! Let's pray and prove the Doctor wrong!

No comments: