Monday, March 17, 2008

02/01/2007

Just a little news today. First, I got off the computer last night and went back downstairs to Emery's room and low-and-behold the percutaneous line was out! He hated it. He turned purple (like he always does when he is mad) and eventually fell asleep so hard he let the vent do all of the work for him, or 'riding the vent' as the nurses like to say. The poor guy had nothing left in him between that and the eye exam. He also got his first Synagis shot last night in the thigh, which is a vaccination against RSV. The nurse waited to do it after we were gone. He hated that. He turned purple. Emery had some 'excitement' this morning. He started dropping his sats and requiring 100% oxygen, do the nurse had his daily chest x-ray done early and his chest, as always, was hazy but slightly worse. They had to go back up on his power to get his PCO2 down to an acceptable level for him. He was doing a little better later in the day. Darn lungs. I asked the nurse to have the doctor call me so I would know what the plan was for Mr. Emmers, and then something exciting happened. Dr. A called. I felt a sense of calmness over that. I've been waiting for him to come back, not because I didn't like the other doctor, but because he always makes a point to talk to Erik and I himself and explains exactly what his plan is for Emery, and crap.. this is his plan. He wants Emery off the vent in 2 weeks! I do not see it happening. I don't even dare to hope, but if ever there was a time to pray for little man's lungs it's now!! I realized today that Emery has been virtually unscathed in the sense of NICU stays. He's had the obvious PDA and the apneas and bradycardias, but it's mostly been his lungs that have been the problem. Dr. A said they've seen lungs like Emery's before. He feels he can manage them. Let's hope!! He said that opening his lungs have never been a problem, it's keeping them open and free of fluid. Let's start hoping :) That's all for today. Emery's on diuretics because of the fluid, and he's up to 20 mL every 3 hours.

No comments: