Monday, March 17, 2008

02/10/2007

Well, there's a treat for Emery fans out there later. Erik will be doing an update. For now, I just had a talk with Dr. A about Emmers and I'll fill everyone in. First, there is a good thing about Emery. He is growing very well, better than they expected as a matter of fact. Emery is a 26-weeker with IUGR. He said any time a baby is growth resricted it causes far more problems, which is probably why his lungs are as bad as they are, but it also causes a lack of brain development, etc. He said across the country 100% of babies go home less than their gestational age weight, yet at the University of Iowa about 55% or more go home at an appropriate corrected gestational age weight. Good old Emery is right on target. I have never been so proud to have a weight problem in my entire life. For those of you naysayers out there who thought me being overweight caused the preeclampsia... well, that darn Oreo and Dorito gene is saving little Em-butt's life!! Um, anyway, the doc said that if he had a choice between good lung function or good growth, he'd choose growth because that means better for Emery in the long run as far as development. I had never even considered that he would have developmental disabilities. I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that he might survive. He said the steroids didn't cause dramatic improvement like they have seen in the past but they did help, and unless there is dramatic improvement they will just discontinue them. They also have the option of using them in the future. He did say that two babies they have had like Emery this past year with dense lungs are now home on oxygen and growing and doing well. Emery is not breaking any records for best or worst baby. Again, Emery's survived the hard part in that he's been here a while, made it through the critical 48 hours of life, but now it is keeping him free from infection, which is hard obviously. He's had two already. I guess we just have to take this day-by-day. I'm glad no one told me the first 24 to 48 hours were critical. They wouldn't let me see him for those first 24 hours for fear of me having a stroke or going into seizures and death. I remember that night after he was born. I realized that I kind of wanted to hang out down here and see what this place had to offer. I'd really never been confronted with my own mortality before, I mean to honestly consider it anyway. I'm only 35. So, mostly the only chance Emery had for survival was outside. The doc did say that it is hard to wean from the oscillator but there are other things they can do. They can move to a jet ventilator and wean from that and the fact is, they have to let Emery grow and build new lung tissue. Most 26 weekers are about out the door by their due date and Emery is no where near that. The poor kid didn't stand a chance. He's now getting blood gases every 6 hours. I have to leave the room when he does. Basically we're just lucky Emery is alive. He's beaten almost all of the odds. Oh, and in case you are wondering, Emery now weighs 3 pounds 9 ounces......... it's time to call Richard Simmons. love you all! Sarah, Erik and Emery

No comments: