Monday, March 17, 2008

02/05/2007

Hello again. I'm up here with Emery today because he's a little sick. Thus far, his cultures haven't grown an organism that can be identified. His CRP has yet to trend down, but the docs feel he's doing okay. In fact, the plan is to still get him off this vent and to CPAP here shortly. I don't understand how or if it is even possible, but basically as long as Emery has an ET tube or an IV or line of any sort he is at greater risk for infection. Yesterday we were told that there was a bug that had run around here in the NICU that resulted in some fatalities that wasn't sensitive to the antibiotics that they usually treat with so they switched his antiobitic coverage just to be on the safe side. They did have to go up on his MAP last night but they went down on his pressure, and his chest x-ray did look better today, not great but better than what it did. He still has a lot of junk coming out of his lungs. I came up today because I just wanted to make sure he was turning he corner. If I could figure out some way to rig up my work computer here I'd just work here in the room. They don't seem very partial to that, though. I think here shortly the only remaining baby that has been here for the same time as Emery will be moving over to bay 2. I actually felt happy for her. We knew we were going to be here a long time. The doctor came and talked to us yesterday about babies like Emery. He said that when he was working in Texas and he and his wife were just starting to have kids they would never have allowed the doctors to save a 28-weeker because the outcome was so bad. Now, the outcomes for 24 and 25-weekers are great. Survival rates are in upwards of 85%, and when they do lose babies it is usually early, so that's good news for Emery. He's 7 weeks old today. He did say that when they lose them later it is usually to infection, and obviously Emery has had two. Now I understand why it bothers them so much when the kids get infections. I think they get attached to the babies up here, but probably not the parents so much. I told the doctor I had some quesions today and he said "I'm not suprised." I can't help it. This is not the optimal way in which to have a child. I'm worried. I imagine Emery will be one that everyone will cheer when he goes home since he'll be here 4 to 5 months. Emery has been on antiobiotics for 25 days of his 49 days of life, and he will be on these for another 7 or 8 days. I have no idea why a sterile environment like a hospital has so many germs, I mean besides the obvious that all of the sick people are here. Well, now that I feel a little relieved I'm really tired. We have some new pics of Emmers coming soon :) Love, Sarah, Erik and Emery

No comments: