Monday, March 17, 2008

01/24/2007

So Erik and I just saw the babes. He's looking really good. He's on some medication for his liver but I can't remember the name. I guess it helps really well and the "liver problems" are not that big of a deal. I don't have an accurate description of it other than it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal and is treatable. Dr. W said that his chest x-ray this morning was "beautiful." I guess his chest was well expanded so they went down on his mean airway pressure to 15 again and he's been running about 40% oxygen. Dr. R said he looked like he might have some areas of chronic lung disease, but the one thing I was told from the very beginning was that he would have chronic lung disease so I'm not surprised. I guess lots of preemies get it. His feeds are up to 6 mL every 3 hours. He looked really good tonight. His nurse gave him tummy time and moved him around to keep him comfortable. He actually sucked his thumb while we were there. He seems to be doing all in all really well. I hope the stupid PDA stays closed! I like it when he has uneventful days. Oh, I had one of the docs define what 'sicker' meant. In an earlier post I had talked about how the surgery tended to make babies sicker, and I never really quite knew what they were talking about. When I hear sicker I think of E. coli or flesh-eating streptococcus. Anyway, it just means that they require more support; i.e. with breathing, medication, etc. Other than that, no news to report on the Emery front. He's pink and healthy. It will be quite some time before Erik and I get to hold him, maybe several more weeks, and no we're not okay with it just because we wouldn't get to hold him if I were still pregnant (yes, some people actually say things like that.) It will be a while. Some days I can hardly wait. As always, we love you all and appreciate all that you are doing for us! Love, Sarah, Erik and Emery

No comments: