Monday, March 17, 2008

01/31/2007

Well, we've got some exciting things to report and one not-so-exciting thing to report. I'm almost afraid to even mention it, but the PDA has been closed for 9 days. There is a part of me that doesn't want to speak it out loud because I don't want to jinx it, but it's been closed now for a bit, so let's all thank God for that one! Next, Emery is up to full feeds and tolerating them!! He is at 18 mL every 3 hours with 27-kcal human milk fortifier. He now weighs over 3 pounds. NO, he didn't gain all of that weight in a week. Whenever I post the weight I go by the previous week's weight because he has had a lot of extra fluid on him, but now they are saying this is a stable and true weight. He now has a layer of fat and looks like a baby instead of a wrinkly old man. He has graduated to big-boy preemie diapers and no longer fits into micropreemie diapers. All of his bodily functions work well (I'm sure you can all figure that one out!) Next, Emery had his first eye exam for retinopathy of prematurity, and it is negative! There is no sign of disease thus far!! One more exciting thing... if Emery tolerates his feedings well then they will remove his percutaneous line tonight, which means he will have no IV access for bit. That is part of what makes them so susceptible to infection. Now, the not-so-happy news. Emery had to go up a bit on his pressures on the vent. His PCO2 is just bad. That's all there is to it. He's within normal range for him. He's being managed right now. Please continue to pray for Emery's precious lungs. The hardest thing I am having to cope with is the way I perceive the nurses reacting to him. Some like he is never coming home or that he will survive. Some act like he's the worst baby they've seen. I know babies like Emery have a low survival rate, but it's hard. Any time there is talk of Emery's lungs it is usually with a look of pity at me. Some days I can hardly stand it. I feel like my baby is the sickest one here right now, but sometimes miracles do happen. We are now on day 45 in the NICU. Other times people just care for him and act like he's coming home no matter what. I'm going to stress this for the last time.. Emery's weight has nothing to do with him coming home. He's gaining weight well, and that's good, but unless he gets enough nutrition to build some new lung function then nothing can be done for him. But today is a good day. No ROP is a huge thing and the fact that he is on full feeds and tolerating them well! He really is a beautiful baby. I hope and pray I can see him without tubes in his mouth. We still have yet to hold him. Okay, I'm going to go back and smooch him now. We love you all!! Sarah, Erik, and Emery

No comments: