Monday, March 17, 2008

02/06/2007

Just a quick update. I just got off the phone with the nurse to see what changes were made today. I was planning on going there tonight but obviously the weather decided to not let me. Emery's CRP has come down so it looks like his infection is on the downward trend. The nurse said he has been having a great day, hardly any desaturations. He is on much higher settings than usual for him but he's been awake and aware and comfortable all day. They upped his feeds to 26 mL every 3 hours with 30 k/cal milk fortifier and proteins added. He needs all of the help he can get. The steroids were started today (dexamethasone) and the hope is to convert him to a conventional ventilator this week which means........... Erik and I should get to hold him this week.. provided the loopy weather lets us up there. After the conventional ventilator the next step will be CPAP. Lord, please help us on this one. Also, I've been reading the Sears' Premature Baby Book. I think some of the information is outdated because the book only gives Emery a 25% chance of survival as opposed to the hospital treating him which gives him an 88% chance of survival, but I read how to parent a preemie at home and the "Welcome to Holland" poem couldn't be more accurate. Preemies aren't supposed to be allowed to 'cry it out.' They don't have the oxygen reserve. They will still turn purple like they do in the NICU. It also talks about 'baby-wearing,' which is wearing your baby in a sling around you for at least 4 hours a day. I'm not adverse to that. He and I have some lost time to make up for. I need jeans with bigger pockets to fit the O2 tank in. Anyway, that's a long long way away, and I'm hoping that the pneumonia didn't cause too much damage, that he will be able to breathe, and that he come home some day!! I'll hopefully know more tomorrow :) Love Sarah, Erik and Emery

No comments: