Wednesday, March 12, 2008

03/09/2007

I'm sorry. I always hate to leave these after positive ones. I just had a talk with the doc rounding for the next 2 weeks. It started out that when I called about rounds the nurse put one of the fellows on the phone. I always hate it when they go get the doc. Anyway, steroids are being started because Emery just isn't making progress like they had hoped. His vent settings are fairly high. Basically - this is the way the last few weeks have gone:

me: "Why are his vent settings up today?"

NICU: "We're just trying to get his oxygen requirements to 50% or below."

me: "It seems like he rebounded worse after this last round of steroids."

NICU: "No, he's bigger and needs more support."

me: "Are his lungs just pooping out on him?."

NICU: "No, he just needs to grow new lung tissue."

Anyway, his pressure support has gone up and they are afraid that it will cause more injury, so the hope is to do steroids again and see if he can make it off the vent again. If not, it's time to switch to the jet (high-frequency ventilation.) His survival rate is still 70% to 80% but the doc is "a little worried" that he's still on the vent and needing this much support at this age and size. No talk of a trach yet. I feel like we're back to if he comes home, not when, but the hope is still to get him off the vent and onto CPAP and then nasal cannula. 70% to 80%... that means that out of every 100 babies 20 to 30 die. I only had a 5% chance of getting preeclampsia to the severity I had it. Statistics blow. Back to crying all day again. Keep us in your prayers. I'll let you know more as things go along.

No comments: